Under general direction of the Associate Vice Chancellor, exercise senior level management responsibility for UC San Diego Transportation Services department. Direct staff engaged in the development, operation and maintenance of all departmental divisions.
Has significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Oversees through subordinate managers the accountability and stewardship of department resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets.
Directs a comprehensive parking and transit system through subordinate managers for large programs, projects and services for UC San Diego. Establishes strategic plans pertaining to transit routes, parking structures, fee setting, enforcement and emerging alternate modes of transportation. Direct efforts to create safe and environmental transportation solutions.
Provides leadership and direction to major department operations, capital projects and related long and short range planning, development and execution of UCSD's transportation policies and programs.
Divisions and services include:
Alternative Transportation Programs, Campus and Medical Centers Parking Operations, Shuttle Operations, Permit Management, Field Operations and Special Events, Systems Operations, Pay Station Operations, Compliance, Citation and Security, Adjudication and Internal Controls Maintenance and Procurement, Cash Handling, Marketing, Technology and Business Development, Surveying, Planning and Analysis.
• At least six years of progressive management experience in planning, organizing and directing diverse transportation and parking programs, services and a workforce at a university or college or similar setting. B.S. Degree in business, public administration, urban planning or related field; or combination of education and experience equivalent to bachelor’s degree.
• Strong leadership skills; extensive effective human resource management and supervisory methods and experience in a collective bargaining (union) setting.
• Demonstrated experience in leading by example, modeling, collaborative and open culture and environment which values the individual, teams and teamwork, ethical conduct, exemplary customer service and quality service.
• Advance strategic leadership and interpersonal skills to work effectively, across all organization levels, internally and externally; including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility to work with faculty, executive administrators, staff, students, governmental representatives, consultants , legal counsel, and the general public.
• Advance skills in developing and managing subordinate management team in building strong customer service focused programs and services. Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively with faculty, students, staff, senior administrators, government representatives and the general public in achieving shared goals and objectives.
• Outstanding ability and skill in speaking before large and small audiences with poise and confidence and ability to convene meetings and lead discussions. Ability to effectively present to diverse groups, management levels, government agencies and stakeholders.
• Knowledge as demonstrated through experience in marketing principles and negotiation methods.
• Expert knowledge of parking and transportation industry best practices to ensure most efficient and effective use of resources and sustainability efforts. Ability to prioritize budget requests and make decisions based on sound judgment and full knowledge of the scope of departmental needs.
• Expert strategic planning, analytical, negotiation and political acumen skills. Ability to assess problems, conduct appropriate complex research and analysis, draw conclusions, develop recommendations, and take appropriate action.
• Understanding, desirably through management experience, of the following areas: accounting, budget, finance, labor relations, personnel, procurement, health and safety.
• Knowledge of, and experience in, the legal requirements primarily as they relate to parking and transportation demand management, contracts, and other related matters.
• Expert knowledge of transportation demand management programs, long range planning, Capital Projects and environmental impact analysis. Knowledge and skills related to facility requirements, along with knowledge of construction and maintenance programs.
• Outstanding written communication skills. Ability to draft summaries, presentations and complex reports.
• Ability to establish priorities among competing assignments and achieve timely completion of a multiplicity of projects. Effective time management and organizational skills.
• Ability as demonstrated through experience in audit compliance and requirements for resourcing parking management systems, all cash handling, permit sales, student billing and adjudication.
• Experience in developing short and long range strategic plans.
• Advanced knowledge of parking, transportation and shuttle operations, as well as related policy and regulatory compliance requirements from governmental agencies.
• Has broad oversight and strategic planning for budget, including Capital Projects for annual and multi-year budgets.
• DOJ, FBI, and DMV background checks and clearance required prior to employment.
• Must be able and willing to drive university vehicles.
• May be required to participate in the DMV Pull Notice program.
• Must be available for crisis and/or emergency situations, and at times, weekends and after hours.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
Additional Salary Information: Commensurate with experience